Friday, August 11, 2017

Jordan Peele: 'Get Out' (2017)

Jordan Peele's Get Out (2017). Take Invasion of the Body Snatchers, mix with Rosemary's Baby, Night of the Living Dead and The Stepford Wives and observe through the scrim of American racial identity and history. Voila! C'est Get Out

Among recent films, I like Dan Trachtenberg's 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016) for its paranoia, and I really like Peele's Get Out for its sly, effective meditation on race relations: entertaining and consciousness raising, familiar yet original.
There's a lot to see in Get Out, starting with the eye of the camera, "the Sunken Place" and the TV Eye. More in a later post, I suspect. 

Today's Rune: Strength.     

1 comment:

Charles Gramlich said...

I enjoyed it. Pretty tense and I didn't figure out the reason before they revealed it. Then it didn't make a lot of sense but that's ok. A fun movie